Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 2009 10:18:03 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Detecting CPU throttling on over temperature

--nextPart2143077.YycXeOppJp

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Alexander Motin wrote:
> Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > I recently discovered a system where the floppy drive cable was
> > intermittently fouling the CPU fan - I believe this caused the CPU
> > to overheat and then get throttled by the BIOS.
> >
> > Does anyone know if it is possible to determine if this is the
> > case? ie is there a way to be informed if throttling has occurred?
>
> Theoretically it is possible. I know off-topic tool reporting this.
> Also you can just monitor CPU temperature, depending on CPU type.

Monitoring CPU temperature is a bit difficult, there are a lack of tools=20
(although I have some code it's not complete).

The problem is that the CPU temperature is only a proxy measurement, I=20
would much prefer to be told directly the BIOS is throttling rather=20
than guess :)

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum