Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:51:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Progress with TV tuner card

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 at 19:33 +1100, Sue Blake wrote:

> And I've tried bumping up various mixer settings willy-nilly:
>
> $ mixer
> Mixer vol      is currently set to  90:90
> Mixer bass     is currently set to  50:50
> Mixer treble   is currently set to  50:50
> Mixer synth    is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  90:90
> Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer line     is currently set to  90:90
> Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
> Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
> Mixer mix      is currently set to   0:0
> Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0

For recording through audio interfaces, I've always seen a "rec"
device and have needed to set the recording level on that using mixer.
For example on my laptop I see:

% mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer line1    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer video    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer monitor  is currently set to  75:75

To set recording from line in I use something like:

% mixer =rec line rec 75
Setting the mixer rec to 75:75.
Recording source: line

For some reason you are not showing the "rec" control, but you do have
an "igain" (input gain) control.  You might need to try setting that
value to 100.

Looking at a new system I've recently installed, I also see igain
instead of rec as a mixer setting.  Can anyone explain the difference
(if any) between the rec and igain controls?

Also as a side issue, I use the "line in" input on my laptop quite
often.  I've been looking at replacement laptops lately and don't see
any which have a "line in" input.  They all seem to only have a mic
input.  Checking Windows XP on them often shows a control panel
recording control for line in and the store personnel are pretty
clueless about the difference between line in and microphone in.

Does anyone know why laptops are no longer including line in
connectors?  Have they gone to some sort of combined input connector
or am I pretty much out of luck with current models?

Stuart