Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 96 01:04:55 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "FreeBSd Chat list" <chat@freebsd.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996 20:48:05 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>The only really big question is - how could we implement something like
>this?  There's gotta be at least one database weenie in the crowd
>here! :-)

Do any of the existing databases for FreeBSD may be good for this?
Postgres or
Msql? If none of them do what you need I could work on something. I
would need some help though. Basically I could work on the file
handling of the database (storing data, indexing, searching, etc). What
I would need help with how to interface properly it to an HTTP server,
and on some UNIX details (how to make this database a running
background process which can be accessed from all sessions). If you can
find people who can give me some hints/help with what I mentioned and
if it is ok to have this take two or three monts then I volunteer for
the project.

I have little Unix programming experience, but lots of data handling
experience. I currently work with Foxpro for for DOS and migrating to
Informix. I also was in change of the conversion of data when we
changed from the mainframes to Foxpro. Databases have always been my
passion so this is a project I can relate to.

I don't do much with FreeBSD, but I read a few mailing lists (every
day) and I am always on the lookout for things I can help with. I tried
helping with documentation, but discovered there is little help for
those who want to help with the documentation: no section in the
handbook explaining how to help, no samples, no note where to get the
SGML, no basic instructions on how to work with SGML, etc... I even
just double checked www.freebsd.org before sending this message to make
sure my comments about documentation are still valid.