Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 02:11:40 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
Cc:        "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@snark.thyrsus.com>, Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: branding

> I would like to state that I think having the goal of the Open Source pages
> be all about convincing companies who sell software that they should
> open-source their software, is a mistake.  FreeBSD is an example of a
> successful project, with many many commercial interests, but little
> commercial interest to "FreeBSD, Inc."  What FreeBSD shows the world, and
> Apache to a lesser extent, is that no company has to be selling a
> "commercial version" of the open-source software in order for it to be a
> successful "open source project".  While companies from Oracle to Yahoo to
> Hotmail to others are using it to save bundles of money and have greater
> reliability in their services, there is no one company selling a
> "commercial version" of FreeBSD; and I think FreeBSD shows (even better
> than Apache) that such a commercialization is unnecessary.

Even though we have indeed passed Eric's "1 million dollar barrier" in
direct sales of FreeBSD, I have to also agree with all of the above.
There are many less tangible indicators of success, nor is it fair to
groups like Apache to say "IBM's backing of you doesn't count since
they're not selling $1M worth of Apache servers, they're selling their
own product *based* on Apache."

I think that Eric has, by inference, chosen to speak for all of us by
putting up the OpenSource pages and if that's the case then he'd
either better START speaking for all of us or find a number of arrows
fired in his direction from the very community he's claiming to
support.  Will that better the cause of free software or make us look
any more professional in the eyes of the "Wall Street fatcats" he
claims to be courting here?  No, it most definitely will not, and if
Eric really DOES have an eye for the "bigger picture" as he claims
here, he'll wake up and realize this before creating yet another
unwonted and destructive schism in the free software community.

- Jordan