Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 07:40:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/1927: User CPU time getting accounting as system time

The following reply was made to PR bin/1927; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
To: Tor Egge <Tor.Egge@idt.ntnu.no>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freefall.freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 23:35:43 +0800

 Tor Egge wrote:
 >> I ran an CPU intensive job, timing it with /usr/bin/time and the result
 was
 >>      2097.84 real         0.00 user      2013.06 sys
 >
 >Try "vmstat -i; sleep 2; vmstat -i" to see if RTC interrupts are still
 >being generated. If not, you may load an lkm that performs an
 >"rtcin(RTC_INTR)" call to restart the RTC interrupt.

 This shows up rather dramatically on "systat -vmstat".  It loudly yells
 "The alternate system clock has died!" and switches elsewhere.

 Hmm, It's interesting that systat has got special case code to detect
 this....

 Is it really that expensive to do a simple watchdog for this event?

 >  - Tor Egge

 Cheers,
 -Peter