Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 12:55:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@TheWorld.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Howto - dhclient not generate/update resolv.conf

Hello...

What is a/the correct way to get DHCP (dhclient) to *not*
generate/update /etc/resolv.conf when it starts/renews?

OS is FreeBSD RELENG_4 as of 2001/12/27 (4.5-PRERELEASE).

What I want to do:  Get my ip-address, etc, via DHCP/dhclient,
but still be able to run my own (caching-only, for example)
nameserver.  Based on manpage(s) (e.g. resolv.conf(5)) it seems
quite appropriate to *not* have resolv.conf in this scenario.  (?)

Citable source (aka, FM to RT :) much appreciated.  So far, I
haven't found quite what I'm looking for in the manpages,
Handbook, books, etc.

Thanks,

-kc