Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:09:14 GMT
From:      gavin@FreeBSD.org
To:        alyens@gmail.com, gavin@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org, gavin@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/126908: FreeBSD i386 install crash at Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle

Synopsis: FreeBSD i386 install crash at Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: gavin
State-Changed-When: Thu Aug 28 14:59:50 UTC 2008
State-Changed-Why:
To submitter: Firstly, I could do with some more details about how exactly
things are crashing for you.  With amd64, what exactly happened when it
"crashed at the start"?  How early in the boot process do you mean?

On i386, do you mean that the machine hung at the "waiting 5 seconds" message?
How long did you wait?  Did the caps-lock key work?  If you boot with verbose
logging (one of the options on the boot menu) do you get any messages printed
during the hang?  If the machine has a floppy drive, was it's activity LED lit?

Secondly, have you tried 7.0-RELEASE?  It's possible that these problems have
already been fixed, and for a new server, starting with 7.0 is probably a good
idea anyway.  If you do try 7.0, I'd be interested to know the results from
both the amd64 and the i386 versions.

As an aside, what have you read on the Internet that has put you off
using amd64 with FreeBSD 6.3?

Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-i386->gavin
Responsible-Changed-By: gavin
Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Aug 28 14:59:50 UTC 2008
Responsible-Changed-Why:
Track