Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:11:42 -0400
From:      "Mike Stackhouse" <mike@samsa.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Promise ATA RAID FastTrak100 TX2 Pro  for Freebsd 4.5

We are interested in implementing inexpensive raid mirroring, and arrived at
the Promise ATA RAID FastTrak100 TX2 Pro as a choice.  From the hardware
compatibility list it looks like it is supported, although the manufacturer
says there is no support for FreeBSD :-(

We are installing on an old system (233mhz) to get the bugs worked out
before converting our live systems.  It seems that FreeBSD picks up the
controller properly as ar0, with ad4 and ad7 subdisks.  However, during the
installation of FreeBSD, it seems like the copying to disk takes longer than
it should, and the installation ultimately hangs up during tunefs operation.

We're using two 7500 rpm 20 GB hard drives configured as raid1 (mirroring).

Is there something we should do to optimize our configuration?

Thanks!

Mike Stackhouse
SAMSA, Inc.
Saginaw, MI  USA