Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:10:49 -0400
From:      Sourav Ghosh <sourav@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   System crash in reading floppy  for 3.1!

I have a compaq persario with AMD (K6-2, 475 MHz) running
FreeBSD 3.1.
I have one particular floppy (dos formatted) that crashes
the system when I was trying to read it.

I could mount the floppy (using mount_msdos /dev/fd0a).

I can read the directory ok.

The problem starts when I try to read any file from that.
The file could be read. But after that, the system console
keeps printing the following message:

fd0c: hard error writing fsbn 19 (ST0 40<abnrml> ST1
2<write_protect> ST2 0 cyl 0 hd 1 sec 2)

I didn't try to write on the floppy and it was "write
protected". And no problem occurs  if I make the floppy
"writable". And I could see that the system is accessing the
floppy drive from time to time.
And if I check the files, there is no change in the
timestamp of the files in the floppy.

The system finally crashes after printing that message
several times on console.
Just for information, floopy was a quick-restore floppy for
windows 98.
But this thing only happens for that particular floppy.
I have another floppy with the identical set of files
(apparently, the sizes and the contents of the files are
same on both the floppies).

Any idea for this weird system crash?
Thanks,
--