Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 00:36:05 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>, Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>, freebsd-chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Yahoo hacked last night

David Scheidt wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Roelof Osinga wrote:
>
> Er, because I no longer use any functional languages.  I don't doubt that
> functional languages will be around for a while.  They are nice to program
> in, once you get your mind around them.  The level of abstraction they
> provide lets one do very powerful things easily.  I once had to translate a
> short scheme program, maybe 150 or 200 lines, into C.  It took the better
> part of a thousand lines, and a lot of head scratching to get right.  The
> scheme program was developed, and debugged , inside the course of an
> afternoon.

Yes, I know. A functional language can even be more expressive than
an OO one. I defined the language metacircularly at the end. Did
shorten the program substantially. Somewhere up to half.
Too bad I didn't fully complete it. The Smalltalk version compiles
to plain C <g>. Alas, only the interpreter and typechecker thusfar.
I'm still meaning to pick it up again, though. Real Soon Now <g>.

> Whatever became of symbolics and their Lisp Machines?  I have never seen one,
> but they sound neat.

They were very neat. But now also past tense I believe. Unfortunately
I haven't had the pleasure of working on one, either.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.
Telekabel home http://nisser.com/