Date:      Fri, 09 Jan 1998 13:57:54 -0400
From:      surly@computer.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   External modem, getty/pppd problems

Hi,

I've been trying to set up a ppp server on my FreeBSD-2.2.2 machine and
thus far, I can get user ppp and pppd working fine on my internal modem
at any speed.  My problem is when I try to run user ppp and pppd on
external modems.  I have an external modem connected to a standard
serial port on my computer (its on my controller card) and another
external modem connected to a Digiboard PC/8e, 8 port serial card.

The problem is that I cannot log in (via getty/login, getty/login/user
ppp or PAP/pppd) at speeds higher than 9600 baud.  9600 baud and lower
is no problem from a connection standpoint but I wouldn't want to be
dialing in for anything more than email without attachments at that
point.  Interestingly though is the fact that I can set up terminal
software on both ends, set the modems for speeds higher than 9600 baud,
they connect, and I can type back and forth.  When I say I cannot log in
at speeds higher than 9600 baud, I mean, I don't get the login prompt
(in the case of getty) and authentication never takes place in the case
of pppd.  On the client side, logs have shown (in the case of pppd) that
LCP configuration request were sent but the server side ignores them.

It seems a bit coincidental that 9600 appears to be the "cut off" speed
- my experience has been that at speeds above 9600, hardware handshaking
is required.  Is is possible that both the getty and pppd or perhaps sio
is having a problem with hardware handshaking?  In my /etc/ppp/options
file, the first line is crtscts (hardware handshaking) and this is also
how the serial devices are configured (and locked, I made no changes to
the rc.serial file with the exception of specifying which devices are
where at the bottom of the file).

Thanx,

David
surly@computer.net