Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 13:15:34 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        Shimon@i-Connect.Net, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Desparate Plea for Help...

Michael Smith stands accused of saying:
> The trap you see above is somewhere near the top of spec_open in
> sys/miscfs/specfs.c.  Without knowing exactly what the trap was;
> specifically the fault address, it's hard to infer more.  There are
> several pointer references near the top of spec_open that might be
> the problem, the most likely IMHO is :
>
>         /*
>          * Don't allow open if fs is mounted -nodev.
>          */
>         if (vp->v_mount && (vp->v_mount->mnt_flag & MNT_NODEV))
>                 return (ENXIO);
>
> We have seen problems with vp->v_mount being NULL before; this
> appears most often with MFS filesystems.

... and of course that's completely stupid on my part.  If vp->v_mount
is null that will _not_ result in a null deref.

Further study actually indicates that this function is quite paranoid
about its input.  Can you tell us which compile options you are using
with your kernels, so that someone can build this function and work
out where 0x6c is?

Are you loading/unloading LKM's on these systems?