Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 01:09:10 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Steve Austin <indydog125@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: creating a disk partition

Steve Austin <indydog125@yahoo.com> types:
> I thought I was being smart by not allocating all of
> a 20Gb drive. I used 9Gb in 6 different partitions -
> (7 including swap). These were assigned on
> installation
> as partitions a, d, e, f, g & h (and of course, swap).

As a general rule, you thought wrong. Unless there are administrative
reasons for putting things on different partitions (i.e. - mounting
parts of it read-only, or NFS export permissins, or backup strategy,
or whatever ...).

> The only problem is that the new fs doesn't get built.
> In fact, I get an error that /dev/X doesn't exist...
>
> Now, am I hooped - meaning I have to go re-install to
> create larger partitions from the onset, or am I doing
> something wrong (or missing a post on this)???

You're not hooped - you could put the stuff on a second slice, so you
have ad0s1a,... ad0s1h, ad0s2a, ... for more partitions. It might be
worthwhile to dump and resize things. If you're tracking 4-STABLE and
have the new dirprefs code, that will get the maximum benefit from
that. Alternatively, you can dump the latter of adjacent partitions,
use disklabel to extend the earlier partition to include them both,
then use growfs to get the new space and restore.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.