Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 17:36:05 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.4 hangs after heavy accesses of net and disk

I upgraded a FreeBSD 4.2 system to 4.4. I mounted a CD in my notebook and
exported that CD to the system to upgrade. During the upgrade
the root partition got full. One disadvantage of the newer concept
seems to be that 32 MB are no longer sufficient for the root partition
which makes upgrading not even very old systems a pain.

After kernel.GENERIC was on the disk and the binaries were copied I
got a disk full message from the installer and decided to abort the
install. I managed to boot the new system into single user, edited
/etc/fstab to the new ad (rather than wd) device names. Side note:
After two failures of an install procedure your original /etc is wiped
out. (/etc/master.passwd is gone)

After adding my user names while being in single user mode
I fired up multi user mode and the system seemed to run fine.

Now I started some activity:

Under X11/twm
in one xterm

cd /mnt/cdrom/src
./install.sh all

in another xterm:

rm -rf /usr/ports

and went to doing other things. (believe I started a netscape whilst the
above commands were running) When I came back after a while (15 mins)
no disk activity could be heard, also the CD on the notebook wasn't
running anymore.

I tried to ^C the process rm -rf ports in the one xterm. No reaction.
Tried to ^C the ./install.sh all which was hanging at the
installing sys... message.

So it seemed that all packages from the src directory were installed.
since ssys.?? are probably the last bits and the shell script just got
hung at the end.

I could kill the install.sh process out of the process list
but still cannot kill the rm -rf command.

Don't know how to get rid of this other than rebooting.