Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:37:53 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jimmy Olgeni <olgeni@FreeBSD.org>, Alan Clegg <abc@bsdi.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Beastie rights? Was: Seems one of the "defacement" groups now uses beastie.

Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> types:
> The TrustedBSD daemon was created by Leigh
> and is used with the permission of Kirk McKusick since he claims rights
> relating to the BSD Daemon.

In looking over his website, it's not at all clear whether Kirk is
claiming copyright on the just the images, or is also claiming
copyright on the character. The former would mean that things like the
TrustedBSD daemon don't require his permission to use (which is what I
thought was going on, and what made Leigh's letting him control the
usage cool). The latter gives him more rights; I'm not sure if it can
be applied in this case (or has Kirk written fiction about the
daemon?), and exactly what it covers.

	<mike