Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:13:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marius <marius@mail.communityconnect.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Accessing HFS CD-ROMs

Anyone with exerience accessing hfs CD-ROMs?  I have tried both hfs and
hfsutils from ports, but I just can't seem to make the CD-ROM something I
can mount and access.  (I might just be missing some point and ending up
looking foolish.)  My assumption is that I simply am not
specifying the CD-ROM drive correctly.  See here using a freshly
installed "hfsutils-3.2.6" from ports:

>milux# uname -a
>FreeBSD milux.ny.home 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #3: Wed Oct 31
>19:48:13 EST 2001     marius@milux.ny.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MILUX
>i386
>milux# more /etc/fstab
># Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
>Pass#
>/dev/ad1s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
>/dev/ad1s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
>/dev/ad1s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
>/dev/ad1s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
>/dev/ad0s1e             /disk1          ufs     rw              2       2
>/dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
>proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
>milux# hmount /dev/acd0c
>hmount: /dev/acd0c: size of medium indeterminable or empty (Input/output
>error)
>milux# hmount /dev/racd0c
>hmount: /dev/racd0c: size of medium indeterminable or empty (Input/output
>error)

I get this, or a similar error in the hfs port as well as hfs-utils.   It
doesn't matter what Mac CD I use, as I have tried serveral.  Heck, it
doesn't matter if there is a CD-ROM in there or not.  It never checks the
CD-ROM drive at all.   It returns immediately without any meda reads or
blinking access lights.  I assume I'm asking it to access the wrong
device, yet don't know what else it _would_ be.

Mounting a CD-ROM that FreeBSD can read natively otherwise works just
fine.  I can mount /dev/acd0c without a problem in other cases.  What am
I doing wrong?

-Marius M. Rex
marius@mail.communityconnect.com

P.S. Please cc: me in replies as I am not a regular subscriber to
Questions.