Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 01:40:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buf struct & scsi disk IO availability.

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Simon Shapiro wrote:

> Hi Terry Lambert;  On 30-Sep-97 you wrote:

> >  SI_SUB_DRIVERS               = 0x23000000,   /* Let Drivers initialize */
> >  SI_SUB_CONFIGURE     = 0x24000000,   /* Configure devices */
> >  SI_SUB_VM_CONF               = 0x38000000,   /* config VM, set limits*/
> >
> >  This should mean "no".
> >
> >  Probably the "probe" and the "attach" need to be seperated.  Can you
> >  live with attach time instead of probe time?  I think if the answer
> >  is "no", an architectural change is required.
> >
> >  See /sys/sys/kernel.h and search for "SI_".
> >
> >  If this is for a "registry" type mechanism, a BIOS-based I/O is not
> >  out of the question, I think.
>
> There is always the posibility of issuing SCSI commands directly into
> static buffers, or even malloced one.  I issue a number of SCSI command at
> init time from the DPT driver.  Not disk i/o but scsi commands all the same.

I've ended up queuing requests for more work to be done at
time SI_SUB_INT_CONFIG_HOOK
which is for this..
I think Justin (who I mistakenly called JASON in my email)
is worlking on a generic way of doing this but till I see it
I've hacked my own little function
as I write the machine is booting.. (looks on other VTY
to see if it made it)
hmm it came up and my callout queue worked but my IO failed..
back tothe drawing board..

oh yeah, the reason I'm not doing it staticaly is I want this to be
able to happen at any time, from loadable modules.
(etc.)
and statically declared stuff is a pain.