Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:11:10 -0600
From:      "Duke Normandin" <dnormandin@freewwweb.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   OT - subnet masks

I need some clarification to the text book that I'm studying, please!

The  book says, "subnet masks permit you to suballocate network addresses." The
example used is:
class C address: 205.101.55
default subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Q. When a person acquires an IP address, is he given just the netid
portion of the IP, or both the netid & hostid?

I ask this because the textbook example now jumps to using:
subnet mask: 255.255.255.224
I understand that there are only 8 common subnet mask octets used, but

Q. is it my choice which octet I choose, depending on the the number of network
segments I require && the number of hosts on each segment?

I can follow the example (255.255.255.224) above to the point of "seeing"
that 6 subnets are available for the subnet mask of 11100000; and that
the available hostids will range from 1-30. I just can see how I would
determine which of the 6 available subnets (above) to use. Or can I use
anyone one of the six that "works for me"? Tia....

-duke

-duke