Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 22:00:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        "ebonytears@uk2.net" <ebonytears@uk2.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, ebonytears@uk2.net wrote:

> I want to run a FreeBSD box, I'm 16, so money looks grim.  I want to run
> Gnome on it (I've run gnome under linux, and I loved it).

	That should work OK as long as you get the X-Window distro.  In
	fact I'm running it right now wrting this email!

Exactly how
> extensive is linux app support under freebsd?

	It's pretty good. *Most* apps seem to run OK,  I've even seen
	better performance of Linux apps on FreeBSD than Linux
	itself...although I wouldn't bet on it.

 And also, I want it to
> run pretty fast, would you say that a celeron 667 or 700 would do the
> job nicely?

	That should be sufficient for what you want to do.

And also, about how much memory?  32 or 64 to start off?

	I would say 64...simply because of X/GNOME combo.

> Also, with the source code, does that include the bootloader source and
> all?

	Yes.

> Oh yeah, one last question..  how easy is it to upgrade one version to
> the next?

	This is one of the best features of FreeBSD.  It is very easy,
	once you know what to do.

 and how would I go about this process in the future?

	There is a program called CVSup.  It pulls ALL of the actual
	updated source code from online, while the system is running, and
	you basically recompile those source to update them.  It really is
	slick.

	As an alternative, you can download the new floppies and choose
	the "Upgrade" option.

	Best of Luck!

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
- Keep on routing in a Free World...