Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 23:09:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Good <tomg@nrnet.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Complete FreeBSD, 3rd edition (was: Printed man pages (was: Looking for the best webmaster.))

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> That's how the Second Edition got so big.  The First Edition didn't
> have so many long man pages.
>
> I think the better approach would be to consider a man pages book.  We
> had thought of this back in 1995, but we never got round to doing it.
> What do you people think?  The question isn't ``is it a good idea?'',
> it's ``would you buy one?''.

Greg,

I'd rather see a set of 2 (or more) books:
1) Install & Conf Handbook
2) FreeBSD MAN

I have a well thumbed Linux MAN on the table next to me (underneath
my SSC System V Command Reference...)   It's a bit of a pyramid with
your 2nd E as the base - not due to frequency of usage but simply
its girth.  ;-)

I really like the size and constuction of the WGS Linux MAN book.
Even tho my eyes complain about the smaller text of the thing it is
*comprehensive* and the size of a quick reference (albeit overfed.)
The SSC guide is allegedly pocket size but it is simply too small...
Conversely, The Complete FreeBSD is hernia material!

Looking forward to volume 3, no matter the format!

Cheers,
Tom

    ----------- Sisters of Charity Medical Center ----------
                    Department of Psychiatry
                              ----
 Thomas Good, System Administrator            <tomg@q8.nrnet.org>
 North Richmond CMHC/Residential Services     Phone: 718-354-5528
 75 Vanderbilt Ave, Quarters 8                Fax:   718-354-5056
 Staten Island, NY   10304                    www.panix.com/~ugd
                              ----