Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 21:53:40 -0600
From:      Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCMCIA modem won't dial

    Hi,

     I recently installed FreeBSD 3.4 on a NEC 2400CD laptop and
everything works great except the modem.  I made sure that PCMCIA
support was enabled and that /etc/ppp.conf was pointing to the correct
device but no matter what I try, I can't seem to get this modem to
work.  It used to work when I had WIN95 on this machine.
    I also get the following message at boot up:

starting standard daemons: inetdApr 20 18:45:23 pccardd[60]: no card in
database for "Hayes" "("OPTIMA 288 + FAX for PCMCIA")

    The modem I have is a Hayes OPTIMA 288 V.34 +FAX for PCMCIA.  I've
been struggling with this one, on and off for two weeks and would
appreciate any help.  Thanks.  Joe