Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:30:31 +0530
From:      "N. Raghavendra" <raghu@mri.ernet.in>
To:        "Viswas Nair" <fysical@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Playing Audio CDs

At 2006-08-10T23:05:40+05:30, Viswas Nair wrote:

> I am new to BSD and have mplayer installed (Gmplayer) and I do not
> see the option to play an Audio CD, only CDs, files and DVDs. How do
> I get Audio CD's to play? Can they be mounted, if so how? Is there
> any specific audio alone CD player (GUI based) that you suggest?

You can use the `audio/xmms-cdread' port.  See [Handbook, Chapter 7]
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/multimedia.html
and Dru Lavigne, `Using sound on FreeBSD',
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/09/19/FreeBSD_Basics.html

> Also, whats the most commonly used or popular CD + DVD burning
> software used in BSD?
Perhaps `cdrecord' from the `sysutils/cdrtools' port.  See [Handbook,
Section 17.6]
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html

HTH,
Raghavendra.