Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2002 22:34:14 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network Driver not being probed during boot

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 06:23:17PM +0000, David Dooley wrote:

> Can any one tell me if they are using the "de" network interface card and if
> it is still working with a 4.7 kernel. I built a kernel approx 50 days ago and
happy-idiot-talk:~:% grep de0 /var/run/dmesg.boot
de0: <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> port 0xd400-0xd47f mem 0xed800000-0xed80007f irq 11 at device 13.0 on pci0
de0: 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.2
de0: address 00:40:05:a5:8d:b7
de0: enabling Full Duplex 100baseTX port
happy-idiot-talk:~:% uname -a
FreeBSD happy-idiot-talk.infracaninophile.co.uk 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #21: Fri Nov 22 17:54:03 GMT 2002     root@happy-idiot-talk.infracaninophile.co.uk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HAPPY-IDIOT-TALK  i386

Works perfectly fine for me.

> all was fine. Any kernel I build now with the latest supped sources and the
> network card is not being probed during boot. The card works fine if I boot a
> 4.4 Generic kernel.

Hmmm... Can you compare dmesg from the failing kernel to dmesg from
the 4.4 kernel which works?  Is it just the de0 card that's failing to
show up?  What output does:

    pciconf -l -v

produce?

> Has the "de" NIC been depreciated in favour of another driver if so what. I
> can find nothing in the UPDATING file in /usr/src. A friend informs me that
> the "de" driver source has not been touched since some time in 2000, but
> something has changed. I am using the same kernel configuration file that I
> have used on this box for almost a year now and it normally get an upgrade
> every couple of months.

No changes in that area of the kernel have happened recently that I'm
aware of.

	Cheers,

	Matthew
                                                      Savill Way