Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 23:01:58 +1000
From:      chris@aims.com.au
To:        <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ports/30028: Issue between www/mod_php4 and graphics/gd

>Number:         30028
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Issue between www/mod_php4 and graphics/gd
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

FreeBSD webserver4.aims.private 4.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #0: Thu May 10 13:12:10 EST 2001
root@webserver4.aims.private:/usr/src/sys/compile/WEBSERVER  i386

www/mod_php4-4.0.6_4 and graphics/gd-1.8.4_3 have differing ideas on GIF
handling. Someone has decided to redeclare the function prototypes for
gdImageCreateFromGif and gdImageCreateFromGifCtx in gd.h. However, PHP4's
configure looks for these function prototypes to enable GIF support, and
subsequently fails in ext/gd/gd.c in PHP_FUNCTION(imagegif).
I'm of the opinion that the version bump for the shared library was for the
removal of the GIF functions, therefore the redefinition of the two function
prototypes should be removed. If the GIF functions are still a requirement,
then a previous version of gd should be restored as the port gd1 so these
functions should be used.
However, I've decided to have it both ways and have logged a bug report for
PHP. The bug report is at http://www.php.net/bugs.php?id=12945 for those who
are interested.
I've fixed this for myself, but I'm unsure of how this should be handled in
the ports tree. Maybe the maintainers for mod_php4 and gd could resolve this.

>How-To-Repeat:

On a clean system:

cd /usr/ports/graphics/gd
make install
cd /usr/ports/www/mod_php4
make install

Watch php4 die horribly in ext/gd/gd.c

>Fix:

Remove the patch chunk to gd.h in /usr/ports/graphics/gd/files/patch-gif