Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 2001 18:43:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vicky Staubly <vicky@steeds.com>
To:        Ben Hacker Jr <strbenjr@yahoo.com>
Cc:        list DC-FBSD <fug-washdc@Sytex.Net>, questions FBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fug-washdc How to build a (Ext. JetDirect like) PrntSrvr

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, Ben Hacker Jr wrote:
> How can I make an old 486 into a Network Printer server??
>
>  I would like to be able to print to a printer connected to this PC
> from a windows 9x or NT client located elsewhere on the LAN.
>
>  Do I have to install Samba to share the printer or can I build a
> simple printer server some other way??

Well, NT will talk to a LPD daemon, which probably comes standard
on most installs. I won't vouch for whether it will then use the
proper driver to do nice graphical printing (as opposed to raw
text). But since you need Samba anyway to allow it to be accessed
from any Win9x machine, I'd go ahead and install Samba. I used
an old Pentium 75 (running Linux) as a print server for a mixed
Win9x/NT/Linux/FreeBSD home network in that way. The Windows
machines then just need the regular driver for whatever printer
you have attached to your print server.

--
Vicky Staubly        http://www.steeds.com/vicky/         vicky@steeds.com