Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:12:10 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Dovydas Kulvinskas <dovydas@kada.lt>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: PR broken? was Re: Linux not FreeBSD?]

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Dovydas Kulvinskas wrote:

> > Wow .. they're obviously on crack, too.  I quote:
> >
> > "Linux is the first open-standards-based 32-bit operating system that
> > combines the advantages of a UNIX system with an Intel-based platform."
> >
> > Since when?
>
>  Hi
>
>  I think it's not only 32-bit but 64-bit OS - Linux for Alpha. & what
> about FreeBSD for alpha? Linux is better than FreeBSD. Better programing
> platform, more scalable & reliable. For FreeBSD is very difficult to use
> glibc & for Linux it's native libraries.

Excuse me? FreeBSD works just fine on alpha (I'm typing this on an alpha
box running X). I use Linux and FreeBSD for programming and they both
support the same set of apis so there is little difference. The glibc
library is certainly not needed for FreeBSD since we have a perfectly good
libc of our own, thank you.

As far as usability goes, I actually think FreeBSD has the edge due to the
excellent ports collection.

>  Linux fan.

FreeBSD fan.

--