Date:      Thu, 03 Dec 1998 08:52:15 +0000
From:      Dom Mitchell <dom@phmit.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS problems...

On 2 December 1998, Mike Smith proclaimed:
> > I don't see why not.  NFSv3 is supposed to use tcp AFAIK.
>
> Rubbish.  Definitely try using TCP mounts here; there's empirical
> evidence that tends to indicate that when working with Solaris servers
> there's a reasonable chance of either dropping response packets or
> having response packets "lost" in some other fashion.

I was using TCP mounts, with NFSv3 initially.   However, it realyl
didn't work very well.

> > I've managed to cure my problems by  switching back to nfsv2 and turning
> > off the new access cache, in the meantime.
>
> Since the access cache only affects v3 mounts, turning it off really
> just amounts to the waving of a dead chicken here.

Thank you.  I wasn't aware of that.  I wonder what was causing a
difference in that case, because it certainly appeared to cause
problems.

Regardless, I now have a (moderately) working setup, using UDP, NFSv2.
The only problems that I have had so far have been starting netscape.
It caused the hang every time.  Renaming my ~/.netscape directory to
something else caused the problem to go away...

Anyhow, thanks for your help, folks.
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator

``Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.''
		-- Henry Spencer