Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 14:48:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrading u_short cr_ref to u_int cr_ref in ucred on -stable

    As per conversations on this list 5-10 April (see
    'Eliminate crget() from...') I intend to MFC the change
    Alfred made in -current to -stable for the ucred reference count.
    This will occur tonight.

    The change will turn cr_ref from a u_short to a u_int.  Due to
    alignment issues, the other fields in the structure will not
    change their location and a quick run through the driver code
    seems to show that device drivers do not access cr_ref.
    That is, only crhold() seems to really reference the cr_ref
    field directly and devices do not appear to call crhold(), so I
    think we are plenty safe enough in regards to binary compatibility.

    This being between releases, if this change creates a serious issue
    somewhere along the line we can always rip it out and throw in
    Terry's stop-gap fix (that allocates a new copy when the ref count
    would otherwise overflow).  I do not think that will be necessary
    though.

					    -Matt