Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:01:28 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Michael O'Henly <michael@tenzo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Naming ethernet NICs

Michael O'Henly <michael@tenzo.com> types:
> Yes, this is what I meant. The reason I raised the questions is that I'm
> configuring a simple firewall for my home network and so far I've "hardcoded"
> NIC names in three or four different places. Presumably if I ever replaced a
> NIC with a different type/driver, I'd have to rediscover all the places I'd
> used the old name.

Then you should log them down as you do it, so you don't have to
rediscover them. This is a good practice for configuration stuff in
general.

One of these days, I'll do the writeup on using source code control
systems for this kind of thing, which allowed me to locate all the
places I'd hard-coded the ethernet device name on this system with one
command.

	<mike