Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:54:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE drives doing BBR?

Used ABBR on SCSI disks all the time, very nice.

Remember reading on hackers somewhere that newer drives like IBM supported
this feature.  I'm getting a few bad blocks on a 75GB IBM drive (at least
according to the ata driver), and rather than replacing it and moves on,
the disk basically dies.

However, I run the IBM drive fitness test, it works some magic in there
writing data to the drive, and the drive is back, and the failed block now
seems fine.

So is there some equivalent of camcontrol or scsicmd for ATA drives that
turns on this feature, and allows my running system to take advantage of
it?

Or do I just write nul's to the block or 0's, and it's supposed to do it
automatically?  or do I just punt.