Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:57:17 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Johan Brodin <d98jobro@dtek.chalmers.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Comparisons

Johan Brodin wrote:
> My name is Johan Brodin and I am a student at Chalmers University of
> Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden. I am currently doing my master thesis
> where I will try do design a dependable distributed system and one of the
> main questions is: What OS from Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris is best suited
> with respect to reliability, dependability and stability? My humble
> question to you is: Do you have any information about this? Du you know
> where I can find information? Personal opinions? I am really thankful for
> all information that I can get my hands on!

You'll never get an honest answer from this list ... it's a FreeBSD list!
The answer is FreeBSD, obviously!  It's the most secure, reliable, dependable
and stable of those three.  It's also better than Windows, MacOS, OpenBSD,
and NetBSD (although those last two are close).  That's my _honest_ opinion,
otherwise I wouldn't use FreeBSD for everything I do (and I mean EVERYTHING).
I can't get past the feeling that people who are in college don't understand
that THEY are supposed to do the work ... that's how school works.
But, then again, I've always been in a position where people have offered to
pay me to do their homework, etc.
Do the research yourself for goodness sakes.  That's why you've got the
project, so you can research it yourself.  There's a plethora of information
available about these systems all over the web, and 2 of them are available
free of charge, so you REALLY should be installing them to find out for
yourself.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology