Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 18:19:11 +0100
From:      Ben Hutchinson <benhutch@xfiles.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Star Office 5 on FreeBSD

On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 01:59:53AM +1200, Andrew McNaughton wrote:

> www.cdrom.com is advertising a soon to be released port of using
> Applixware to FreeBSD.  Does anyone have experience with Applixware on
> other platforms, or know anything about the port?

I've used it on RedHat 5.0 and was quite impressed with it.

I believe that the Linux version will run on FreeBSD via the linux_lib
port but I haven't had any experience with that (yet).

> I'm a bit wary of buying it too early in case of bugs, and it sounds
> pretty resource intensive, but the discussion on the redhat applix list
> seems like many people prefer it to Star Office.

I didn't encounter any bugs with it on my system, but I didn't use all it's
features.  It is, like most office productivity suites, pretty
resource intensive. I had no problems on my P200 w 128MB of RAM, but noticed
the difference in speed on a friend's P90 w 104MB of RAM.

I also tried Star Office and found it to be far worse in terms of
responsiveness.

- Ben

--
		      "I Want To Believe"