Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:07:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, wash@iconnect.co.ke
Subject:   Re: Adding Disks

>  newfs _ARGS_ /dev/rda1s1c
>
>  My question: why would it not accept /dev/da1s1e ???? Why does it have
>  to be rda1s1c??
>
>  If someone can enlighten me...I have nothing on that disk so I can go
>  over the process again just to be conversant with this chapter..

did you create the Unix partitions on the new disk using the command
"disklabel(8)" before trying to do the "newfs(8)" command?

the "c" partition is the whole BSD slice and by default is the only
partition on a BSD slice.

if you are not comfortable running disklabel, you can do the same thing
by running the /stand/sysinstall. Choose:

	Custom->Label (add the partitions sized the way you wish) -> W

you should now be able to newfs the created partitions.

It is obvious from the fact that you use the "ad" drivers that you are running
FreeBSD 4.2(+). If your OS were a older than FreeBSD 4.2 system, I would have
warned you that raw commands, such as newfs, must be done on raw devices. In
FreeBSD 4.2 (and newer), the block and raw devices point to the same thing.