Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:35:55 +0200
From:      "Christian Holz" <christian@fastlane.de>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DES and MD5

Hi there!

I've got a question concerning DES and MD5 encryption:

I've installed my server using DES encryption.
Many of our customers are runnung a perl program which uses crypt() to
create the passwords for .htaccess files.
Since apache doesn't support DES encryptet passwords i'd like to change to
MD5 encryption or at least
force perl/frontpage to use MD5 (Crypt::PasswdMD5 should be doing this, but
instead returns DES encryptet passwords).

 I couldn't find any hint in the manual how to do it. There aren't many
accounts on the server, so i wouldn't mind to create all user
accounts again.

The only thing I did was changing the links in /usr/lib/ for libcrypt etc.
But that didn't help.

Any advice welcome!!!

Chris