Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 21:25:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@scms.utmb.EDU>
To:        Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disk hard read error: anything to be done?

Rich Wales writes:
 > M. L. (Bud) Dodson wrote:
 >
 > 	> ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 983151 status=59 error=40
 > 	> ad0: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
 >
 > 	> Should I do anything about this . . . .
 >
 > Make sure the drive isn't getting too hot.  Do you have adequate ven-
 > tilation in the computer case?  Are the fans working?  Is there plenty
 > of air flow around the drive?
 >
 > You might want to remount the drive upside down (with the circuit board
 > on top); this may help keep the drive mechanism from overheating.
 >
 > You should always keep backups, of course, but you should =definitely=
 > make sure you have a good backup of the data on =this= drive.  Even if
 > improving air flow makes the errors go away, the drive has given you
 > fair warning that it's likely to die sooner rather than later.
 >
 > I had a drive myself, BTW, that was starting to give hard errors a few
 > months ago.  I remounted it upside down, with more space around it, and
 > added another fan, and (touch wood!) I haven't had any more errors from
 > this drive for about three months now.
 >
 > Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/

Thanks for the input.  Don't think it was heat because it was
always the same block reported.  I went to single user, unmounted
all but /, gave them a fsck, which found a problem in the
partition mounted on /var, let fsck fix the problem
sectors/blocks it found (four in all, adjacent to one another),
and all has been OK since.  In any case, I now have all the
sector numbers (reported by fsck) to give to badsect(8), if the
fsck does not lock them out semipermanently.  (I'm not real sure
about that part.)  And, of course, I've taken a backup.  I feel
lucky that this was on /var, which is more expendable, and
smaller.  If need be, I can just not use the partition presently
mounted on /var.

This is the first problem I've had on this class of IBM drives.

Thanks again for the input!

Bud Dodson

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790