Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 02:11:49 +0100
From:      "Alexander Sanda" <entropy@kabsi.at>
To:        "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 4.0 slower than 3.4?

 Garrett Wollman [mailto:wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu] wrote:
 Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2000 7:27 PM

> You should also try it with `options COMPAT_IPFW=0' in your config
> file.

Hm, what's this option for?
When I put it into my kernel config, the config program complained
about an "unknown option". A quick grep over the kernel sources also
didn't find it anywhere.

Anyway, since I'am using ipfilter as a module, I still have
IPFILTER_LKM in my config file (it is required, otherwise the ipl.ko
kernel module will not load and complain about a undefined function).
This option is still in the source (ip_input.c and ip_output.c), but
is missing in the configuration files (even in LINT) for some (?)
reason.

After removing IPFILTER_LKM, I ran the bench again and got following
results.

UDP latency using localhost: 63 microseconds
TCP latency using localhost: 66 microseconds
RPC/udp latency using localhost: 109 microseconds
RPC/tcp latency using localhost: 139 microseconds
TCP/IP connection cost to localhost: 119 microseconds
Socket bandwidth using localhost: 72.63 MB/sec

To make comparing easier, here are the results I already posted
yesterday.

	First, plain (no module loaded):

UDP latency using localhost: 65 microseconds
TCP latency using localhost: 67 microseconds
RPC/udp latency using localhost: 111 microseconds
RPC/tcp latency using localhost: 139 microseconds
TCP/IP connection cost to localhost: 119 microseconds
Socket bandwidth using localhost: 71.97 MB/sec

	Now, ipl.ko loaded (ipfilter), no rulesets

UDP latency using localhost: 80 microseconds
TCP latency using localhost: 85 microseconds
RPC/udp latency using localhost: 129 microseconds
RPC/tcp latency using localhost: 155 microseconds
TCP/IP connection cost to localhost: 145 microseconds
Socket bandwidth using localhost: 67.72 MB/sec

	The following is for ipfw.ko loaded (default policy to accept,
                                           no other rules).

UDP latency using localhost: 68 microseconds
TCP latency using localhost: 73 microseconds
RPC/udp latency using localhost: 115 microseconds
RPC/tcp latency using localhost: 143 microseconds
TCP/IP connection cost to localhost: 127 microseconds
Socket bandwidth using localhost: 70.11 MB/sec

	And finally, both ipl.ko and ipfw.ko loaded (rather
	stupid imho, I think they're supposed to work as an either-or
	solution :) ).

UDP latency using localhost: 84 microseconds
TCP latency using localhost: 90 microseconds
RPC/udp latency using localhost: 132 microseconds
RPC/tcp latency using localhost: 160 microseconds
TCP/IP connection cost to localhost: 152 microseconds
Socket bandwidth using localhost: 66.04 MB/sec

--
 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN /    For every single problem you can