Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 06:07:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      opentrax@email.com
To:        steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com
Cc:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG, sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/22042: spelling error

Steve,
   I like your initative(sp?).
Please note I've Bcc, my counterpart in New York on a similar
project that is well underway. His name is Pete Collins.

Pete,
    Note that this email is about the mentioned PR. The PR is
closed, but Nik has agreed to consider the fix that follows.
That is, if a PR comes to FreeBSD, they will consider forwarding
it to the appropriate Development Group. As you know, we
have discussed a similar plan for Mozilla. Look like we may be
able to move forward with this. :-)

On 13 Nov, Steve Roome wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 03:12:09PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 11:10:51AM +0000, Steve Roome wrote:
>> > P.S. Yup, I know I didn't supply patches to gnats to make it do this,
>> > I don't seriously expect anyone would accept them if I did.
>>
>> I'd very seriously consider any patch that, if I set "responsible" to
>> something like "xfree86", automatically forwards the PR on, possibly
>> with some preamble that says something like
>>
>>     This report has been forwarded by the FreeBSD Project, as it pertains
>>     to a piece of software that we distribute, but do not maintain.
>>
>>     It is our policy to forward patch requests on to the original
>>     developers, and re-integrate their changes in to our tree when they
>>     are made, rather than make local patches to third party software.

Steve,
    1+ seems the way to go, but I think some parts might not be
needed. If you carry this forward, I'll lobby all the development
groups I'm informed about. Let's get this rolling! 8-)

    BTW, earlier this year, at the Mozilla Developers Conference
I spoke with the core team. They were reluctant to do this, but
a month later the changed their minds on everything. And while
Mozilla has not agreed to this plan the see promise in it.

> Method 1+ :
>
> For better functionality I would suggest that each package/port that
> is installed could use exactly the same mechanism and add an entry in
> /etc/gnats. It would also be very easy to add one other if statement
> to the start of the send-pr script to use a different PR-FORM
> (i.e. just to set the env variable!) if it's not the base FreeBSD
> system we've found a problem with.

Please elaborate on "a different PR-FORM" and "not the base",
as you see it.

> If anyone is interested in the second part above, I'm willing to spend
> some more time on it and actually send in some usable patches, the whole
> shebang is surprisingly simple.
>
> However, in the meantime, the quickfix for just X works fine (well,
> the text needs altering, but the folks at xfree86.org are unlikely to
> mind that we'll send in a report with Category and Release the wrong
> way round, when they don't use the same system the information would,
> I assume still prove useful for them!

I'm sure we can get XF86 and other to agree on some type of PR-FORM.
At he very least, we can collect minimal information that each
development group can use to follow up on.

> Final thought : We could do this properly and for every port just give
> gnats the mail address for problem reports in the same way. Suddenly
> problem reporting capability for all of the ports is working.

I would like to add an additional part.

Nik and Steve, please consider this:

SVBUG.com is available for CGI tasks.
What I am considering is having SVBUG be a respository
for the "ports" developer". That is, each "ports" developer
would sign up for services (like getting extend PR reports).

I'm been working on such a plan for Mozilla for weeks.
Right now I'm waiting for my DSL line to go back up
(no thanks to pachell).

In addition to PR extending, we are already under way with
a webring. This thanks to my roommate, who believes we
can make this a $$$ venture. In the end, we hope that
what is good for *BSD, is good for us.

Steve, you have my support on this. If need be, I'll
rally more help locally.

				best regards,
				Jessem.