Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 20:21:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Matt=20Sykes?= <mattmsykes@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CFLAGS should not apply to world or modules

(4.5-stable)

... or there should be a separate PORTS_CFLAGS or WORLD_CFLAGS or
whatever.  If I want to set -O2 -march=pentiumpro for building
XFree86, I don't necessarily want my 'ls' command optimized as such,
especially since there are warnings that these optimizations can
break
things in the world.  And these optimizations make little sense for
kernel modules in all concievable cases.

Yeah I could edit make.conf every time I build ports or the
kernel/world, or always pass these flags explicitly at the command
line etc., but that's annoying and a workaround for a setup which is
Blatantly Incorrect.

I see this discussed here and there, but the problem still persists.
Why?

--Matt