Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 00:05:51 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Subject:   Re: "Load Defaults" was my cure! (Was: Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?)

As dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:

> This is really why I'm replying to this older thread: Selecting "Load
> Defaults" in the BIOS setup cured my floppy problem.

Tor Egge tracked it down to an apparently broken floppy chip (most
likely, the chip doesn't report DMA overruns correctly), and submitted
a workaround that enables the FIFO on chips where this seems to be
applicable.  This hides the error well enough, and is also a good
explanation why other operating systems on the same hardware didn't
experience problems.  Try the most recent -current, and see how it
comes out.  If it doesn't break for anyone, this might be a 2.2.5
candidate as well.  (I tried it on an actual NE765-compatible 40-pin
chip, and it doesn't break there either.)

Terry submitted me a larger patch that is supposed to classify a good
deal of FDC chips by feature categories, but i have yet to find an
hour silent enough to test this.

--
cheers, J"org