Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:46:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Warner's PCI Modem Driver

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> I am told that the modem is not a winmodem, but I don't know how to tell
> by looking at it. The modem is a Phoebe. The documentation for it is
> sparse.

I took a gander at the Phoebe web page at
http://www.phoebemicro.com/modems/pci.htm and I dont see ANY of the modems
which I would trust to NOT be a winmodem.

On the modem itself, there should be some numbers on the largest chip or
chips.   Could you provide us with those, represented as well as you can
off of the modem?  (this should tell us if it's a winmodem, if someone can
identify the chipset.)

Also, if you could try to figure out which phoebe modem it is, it would
also be helpful.

Alternatively, save yourself some time and go buy a USRobotics (now 3com)
Sportster (NOT winmodem) Modem.  I have personally used the USR part
number 5687 for an internal ISA modem and it works well
(http://www.3com.com/client/pcd/products/prod-faxmod5687-int.html).

I have also used the 5686 external modem as well.
(http://www.3com.com/client/pcd/products/prod-faxmod5686-ext.html)

It appears that the 5610  PCI versions would work also.

(The other advantage is that USR is really good about saying "WINMODEM" in
most cases).

HINT:  When looking at modem specs you want to see something like the
following:

---------
Minimum System Requirements:

IBM Compatible 486DX or Pentium Processor with available 2.1 PCI Slot.

DOS, Microsoft Windows 95, 98 or Windows NT 4.
---------

The key here is 486 and DOS.

If it will work under DOS on a 486 it should work under freebsd.  (Yes I
know there are a couple exceptions, but they are few and far between)

Occasionally, a vendor will only list Pentiums or higher, or will only
list Windows OS'es.   This isn't a guarantee that any given modem will
work, but as a general rule, a Winmodem needs BOTH a pentium and Windows
95+ to work.  Be very very wary of ANYTHING which says "Pentium 120 or
higher" or the like.

Geez. Life would be much easier if people would just say "Compatible with
most Unix-based operating systems on the PC" on the box.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) KD7EHZ