Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 10:13:38 -0700
From:      joerg@pharmacy.isu.edu (Joerg Senekowitsch)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Fatal Trap 12 during install on HP Vectra

Hello FreeBSD!

I'm trying to install FreeBSD-2.1.0 on a HP Vectra 486VL/25 (a 486SX
processor). The machine has 8MB RAM, a 120MB Quantum IDE disk, and an Intel
EtherExpress 16TP network board (supported). I've downloaded the latest
boot floppy and disabled almost everything in the "-c" configuration except
the floppy, hard disk, ethernet board (otherwise FreeBSD mistakes the
EtherExpress for a Mitsumi CD ROM ?!).

Doing a "novice" install and dedicating the whole disk to FreeBSD (using a
16MB swap partition and the rest goes to "/") I select FTP as install
medium. The board is configured at IRQ 10, PORT 300, IP 134.50.8.10
(pills.isu.edu), the gateway, DNS server, and netmask are set correctly (I
know, I'm the net admin :-).

Anyway, soon as the install procedure hits the

DEBUGL init ix0.......

message I get a

FATAL Trap 12: Page fault in kernel mode...

(Didn't write down the rest since the @%#$(@ thingy reboots at that point).

Any ideas on how to make this work?
Would NFS install work (doubt it, it seems to croak on the Ethernet board)?

Anyway, appreciate your help,

Joerg

PS: This is a test for a later (much bigger) system that would replace our
current NetWare 4.1 server (running Samba and NetaTalk/CAP). But if it
ain't stable, I gotta go L.... :-(

Joerg Senekowitsch, Ph.D.           <joerg@pharmacy.isu.edu>
SysAdmin                            Phone: (208) 236-2627
College of Pharmacy                 FAX:   (208) 236-4421
Idaho State University              ------------------------
Pocatello, Idaho 83209                  I SPEAK FOR MYSELF !