Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:51:18 -0400
From:      "Steve Brown" <gtabug@prayforwind.com>
To:        "Chris Browning" <brownicm@prokyon.com>, <RnldFreud@aol.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: internet connection

I fought with this problem for months too, but finally got it working. The
handbook is getting better, but still needs some work. You need to edit
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf

Read the ppp section of
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Then read http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/06/14/FreeBSD_Basics.html
which will give you the missing pieces that you need to connect to a dialup.

Now get the kernel sources.

Once you have the sources, go back to the handbook(1'st link) and read
"Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel". Recompile the kernel with the following
options to enable PPPoE(DSL):

options NETGRAPH
options NETGRAPH_PPPOE
options NETGRAPH_SOCKET
options NETGRAPH_ETHER # missing from most how-to's, but you need this
option too.

Now read http://free.mine.nu/~squirrel/PPPoE/FreeBSD%20PPPoE%20Howto.htm and
it will tell you how to setup /etc/ppp/ppp.conf for DSL

(I read something on the FreeBSD site about PPPoE no longer needing a kernel
reconfig as of 4.0-RELEASE, but it could not get it to work without the
above 4 options. Once I did that it worked perfectly.)

Good luck,
Steve