Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:18:51 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        grog@lemis.de
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I write this SGML stuff?

    Greg> I've just been trying to convert my roff text on installing
    Greg> a second disk into SGML, and I find that I don't have any
    Greg> documentation.  I've guessed a lot from the table sources,
    Greg> but I've probably made a lot of mistakes, and I can't find
    Greg> how to do pictures and tables.

I had three main sources of info to learn the DTD we're using.  First
was the (C-c, <) key in Emacs (to list what the valid tags are in the
current context).  Second was existing text. Third was the DTD itself.

I finally figured out how to import PostScript ... although I don't
know if this usage is ``blessed.''  (John?  Comments?)

	<figure>
	  <eps file="blah">
	  <caption>Any caption text.</caption>
        </figure>

In LaTeX, this becomes a \figure environment using \epsffile to insert
blah.ps.  Our DTD adds the `.ps' no matter what, so don't name your
EPS files `.eps'.  On my system, I also have to modify the
\documentstyle line and add epsf to it:

	\documentstyle[linuxdoc,epsf]{article}

In HTML, nothing appears.  In ASCII, just the caption appears.

You can also replace <eps> with <ph> (which means nothing as far as
I'm concerned) to get a vetical space in which to put a figure later.

	<ph vspace="24pc">

skips 24 picas.  Any TeX units will work.  Again, no effect in HTML,
and just the caption in ASCII.

Next, I need to learn what you've learned: the tables!

    Greg> On an allied subject, is there any way to just browse
    Greg> through the manual without having to remember where in the
    Greg> structure you are, and possibly even such advanced things as
    Greg> paging with the keyboard keys instead of the mouse?

Depends on your web browser---if you're browsing the HTML version.  On
Netscape, the PageUp/PageDown keys work.

Maybe we'll come up with a special browser just for the handbook
that'll have an adjunct window in which a ``You Are Here'' display
will be constantly updated.  Or just a Java app.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov