Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 17:01:36 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
Cc:        brandon@roguetrader.com (Brandon Gillespie), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why bother submitting anything (via send-pr)

> The PRs seem to be orphaned since Mike Pritchard left the FreeBSD
> project in May 1997.  We submitters who are not committers have a
> *very* hard time getting any feedback.
>
> Six of my submissions are left open. Some of them are already fixed or
> analyzed and should be closed, some are only fixing typos or adding
> a line to man pages and are not worth the trouble you have to
> go into in order to get your submission noticed.

Again, I'm _very sorry_ you're having this experience and all I can
say is that this is due to overload, not any deliberate desire to
ignore PRs.  Far from it - I'd sleep better at night if I had someone
looking after the PRs full-time but wishing alone does not,
unfortunately, make it so.

> They do! Last week I've got more responses (three) from NetBSD users
> than from the FreeBSD project (zero).

They probably have far fewer PRs overall to respond to. ;-)

> Jordan mentioned that he's going to hire developers for porting
> the OS to another architecture. (He left open which architecture.)

FreeBSD/ALPHA

> I conclude from this, the desertion of the PRs and the discussion
> about current ports versus stable ports that the FreeBSD project
> is switching to a commercial company that does not depend on
> volunteers any more in the long run.

This is a thoroughly incorrect conclusion, I'm afraid.

What the FreeBSD project is current trying to do is cope realistically
with the side-effects of its success, such side-effects being a
burgeoning PR database, more tech support questions flowing in than
most of our volunteers can handle and a greately increased need for an
effective quality assurance program.

To put it another way, there are a growing number of tasks which
volunteers refuse to handle simply because they are not fun at all and
rather too much like a Real Job(tm) for them to want to do it for
free.  It is THESE people that I'd like to pay, along with the serious
developers needed to make progress on a number of stalled issues (like
the new installation tools), in order that FreeBSD might continue to
deliver on its promise.

I think you vastly underestimate the size of the growing gap between
what volunteers are willing to do and the number of un-done tasks we
have piling up, waiting for a mysterious "someone" to do them.

					Jordan