Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:43:45 -0500
From:      Damian Gerow <damian@sentex.net>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Thus spake Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav (des@des.no) [20/11/03 04:28]:
> What makes you think there is a secret trick to make it work?  Unless
> you have chip docs and experience with XFree86 internals, you'll just
> have to wait for it to be supported.

The 9600/9800 cards have accelleration in XFree86's CVS.  It's planned for
4.4.  To get it now, you can install x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server-snap (and,
obviously, remove x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server).

However, ATI seems to have been completely unresponsive to releasing docs
for the kernel-level accelleration.  So there's little benefit in running
the accellerated X driver (aside from the fact that you can actually use
your graphics card).

So yes, this is very much a waiting game, unfortunately.  I haven't seen any
indication (after two e-mails to them) that they are willing to release any
sort of documentation on the cards, nor drivers.