Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 2008 04:01:59 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@kukulies.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fastest raw device copy?

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 09:48:16AM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm considering using a bootable USB stick with FreeBSD to perform a
> backup of my notebooks'
> 500 GB hard disk to a physically identical (same make, same type, same
> size) hard disk attached to  USB.
>
> What would be the fastest way to do that sector by sector copy? I'm
> using dd right now,
>
> dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/da0 bs=10000000
>
> but maybe there is a utility which does this faster or a larger buffer
> size? Probably the limit will be
> the USB 2.0 bus speed anyway?

In general, what you're doing is correct for a block copy.  There is
nothing (that I know of) which is faster; you're copying 500GB of data
(including the unused portion -- you *did* ask for a block copy),
and this takes a long time.  Be patient.

On the flip side, your blocksize (bs) there is quite high for no good
reason.  I'd pick something more like bs=64k or bs=128k.  The default
(512) is too small for what you want, but 10MBytes is silly.