Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 07:40:45 -0600
From:      Matt Meola <mmeola@uswest.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP broken in 4.0-STABLE?

Has anyone noticed a specific and limited breakage in user-ppp in
4.0-Stable?

I've been using ppp/pppctl to log in to my clients' system for a long
time; they use SecurID to authenticate accessors.  So, I've set up the
chat stuff in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf to use the "\\P" for the authkey, and I
script pppctl to set the authkey to the value I type in from my little
card, and off it goes.

Well, until I upgraded to 4.0, it has worked flawlessly; but since
then, it seems to mess up the authkey during the "chatting" -- in the
ppp log, I can see everything proceeding as before, and when the time
comes for it to send the authkey, it says "\P" (like it should), then
the server comes back with "Authorization denied, you son of a
motherless goat" and I'm hosed.

If I use ppp manually, everything works fine.

I've tried using just one backslash before the 'P', to no avail.

Has anyone noticed this before?  Is it pilot error, something ppp has
upgraded and I've missed it in the man page?  Or in the list archives?

--
Matt Meola             KC0DXW             http://www.qsl.net/kc0dxw
Bailey, CO             ARES D6 AEC