Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 19:44:46 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "David P. Reese Jr." <daver@gomerbud.com>, Juli Mallett <jmallett@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Just a wild idea

You can get a somewhat similar effect right now (that is, root being not
permitted to mess with your files) by using "cfs."

Ok, true, root can still destroy your files by using the underlying
"real" file system, but he can't view or manipulate them in their
plaintext form.

I must say that when I first installed cfs I was quite taken aback when,
as root, I encountered this:

   i8k# ls /c/bts
   ls: bts: Operation not permitted
   i8k#

Of course, it's not at all the same thing, really--root just has to 'su'
to the ordinary user and then he gains privileges to the file, but you
can never at one moment have the power of root *and* access to the
files in the cfs file system.  (Unless root is the one attached to
them, of course.)