Date:      Sat, 19 May 2007 02:25:35 +1000
From:      Mikhail Goriachev <mikhailg@webanoide.org>
To:        Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems upgrading a 6.0 install to 6.2-RELEASE-p4

Andrew Falanga wrote:
> On 5/18/07, Mikhail Goriachev <mikhailg@webanoide.org> wrote:
>> Andrew Falanga wrote:
>>

>> You really must read the following (or at least skim through):
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
>>
>> and
>>
>> /usr/src/Makefile
>>

>> All correct instructions are in there and you shouldn't skip any steps.
>>
>> mergemaster will take care of that audit group among other things.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Mikhail.
>>

> Ok, I'm reading through the web link you sent.  I see in section
> 23.4.1 the steps are:
>
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel
> # reboot
>
> <reboot to single user mode that is>
>
> # mergemaster -p
> # make installworld
> # mergemaster
> # reboot
>
> I did these steps then, and I'm still getting the missing audit group
> errors.  What is this audit group, what's its function, etc.?  Since
> nothing of "world" has been installed yet, can I simply erase /usr/src
> and replace with the 6.0-RELEASE cd's, which I have, and then do the
> cvsup once again.  This time doing a mergemaster *before* I buildworld
> and then installworld?

That group is related to Security Event Auditing[1]. The following is
the entry about it in /usr/src/UPDATING:

20060204:
        The 'audit' group was added to support the new auditing
functionality in the base system.  Be sure to follow the directions for
updating, including the requirement to run mergemaster -p.

Regards,
Mikhail.

[1] - http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/audit.html

--