Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:56:36 -0800
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <rileyjmc@pacbell.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Compiling 3rd party apache module

Greetings:

I'm trying to get coldfusion 5.0 for linux running on freebsd 4.5 with
redhat 7.1 emulation.  The cf binary runs ok but the apache module
doesn't--using the supplied mod_coldfusion_EAPI.so didn't work.  apache
complained about various linux libraries--when they were supplied it still
failed.  Don't recall the messages or SOs offhand from last week.  But it
seemed to me that the module expected the Red Hat apache, not the 1.3.23
with mod_ssl built on fbsd.

So I tried compiling the supplied module using apxs.redhat and now get a
nice core dump when starting apache:

root@zumwalt# apachectl start
Bus error - core dumped
/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

Then I tried to add support in the Makefile for apache 1.3.23 with mod_ssl
(the first attempt had this additional line:
"--enable-shared=coldfusion.c")

CONFIGURE_ARGS= --prefix=${PREFIX} \
                --server-uid=www \
        <snip>
                --enable-shared=max \
                --enable-module=ssl \
                --enable-module=define \
                --add-module=/usr/local/coldfusion/webserver/apache/src/mod_
coldfusion.c

And get this:
#make

<snip>

 + adding selected modules
    o rewrite_module uses ConfigStart/End
      enabling DBM support for mod_rewrite
    o db_auth_module uses ConfigStart/End
      using Berkeley-DB/1.x for mod_auth_db (-lc)
    o ssl_module uses ConfigStart/End
      + SSL interface: mod_ssl/2.8.6
      + SSL interface build type: DSO
      + SSL interface compatibility: enabled
      + SSL interface experimental code: disabled
      + SSL interface conservative code: disabled
      + SSL interface vendor extensions: disabled
      + SSL interface plugin: Vendor DBM (libc)
      + SSL library path: [SYSTEM]
      + SSL library version: OpenSSL 0.9.6a 5 Apr 2001
      + SSL library type: installed package (system-wide)
    o coldfusion_module uses ConfigStart/End
 + using -lC -lcf for mod_coldfusion
 + enabling Extended API (EAPI)
   using MM library for EAPI: (system-wide)
 + using builtin Expat
 + checking sizeof various data types
 + doing sanity check on compiler and options
** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
** failed.  The below error output from the compilation
** test will give you an idea what is failing. Note that
** Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such as gcc.

cd ..;
c -DHARD_SERVER_LIMIT=512  -DDOCUMENT_LOCATION=\"/usr/local/www/data/\"  -DD
EFAULT_PATH=\"/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin\"  -DACCEPT_FILTER_NAME=\"httprea
dy\" -funsigned-char -DMOD_SSL=208106 -DEAPI -DEAPI_MM -DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/e
xpat-lite -O -pipe  `./apaci` -I/usr/local/include  -L/usr/local/lib  -o
helpers/dummy helpers/dummy.c   -lcrypt -lC -lcf -lmm
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lC
*** Error code 1

Stop in
/var/data/usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl/work/apache_1.3.23/src/helpers.
======== Error Output for sanity check ========
============= End of Error Report =============

Is there hope?  Am I on the right track?  If so how do I add the module?

tia,

Riley